Saturday, January 29, 2011

Chicken and Rice Soup

A few people have asked me for the Chicken and Rice Soup recipe.  I have made this twice now and really like it.  I also made it for a friend who just had her third baby and they at least "said" it was yummy. The recipe comes from Jessica Seinfeld's Double Delicious cookbook.  I have made a few modifications so I will give you my recipe and put an asteric next to my little tweaks. (We aren't really watching our fat in take so I don't always do the healthy alternative, maybe that will be on next year's resolution list.)

What you will need:
  • 2 carrots, peeled
  • 1 stalk celery
  • 1/2 bag frozen diced onion* recipe calls for 1 small onion, peeled
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 cup white rice* recipe calls for 1/4 cup but I didn't think that was enough
  • 1 quart water
  • 1 quart chicken soup base*recipe calls for 1 quart low fat,reduced sodium chicken broth (that sounded like water to me)
  • 1 rotisserie chicken shredded* recipe calls for 2 skinless chicken breasts on the bone
  • 1 cup cauliflower puree
  • 1/2 cup carrot puree
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons cream cheese, at room temp* recipe calls for reduced fat cream cheese
  • 1-2 tablespoons, lemon juice* recipe calls for 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Directions
  1. Chop the carrots,celery and onion.  Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat.  Add the chopped vegetable, pepper and paprika.  Cook until the vegetable soften but do not let them brown.  Add the rice and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, until the ends of the rice turn translucent.
  2. Add the water and broth and bring to a boil.  Add the chicken and cover.  Turn off the heat and let the chicken cook in the hot water until it's no longer pink at the bone. 25-30 mins.  Once the chicken has cooked through, remove the meat from the bone,shred it, and return it to the pot. (Since I use rotisserie I never have to worry about the chicken being under cooked, plus I think it is easier and more flavorful this way.)
  3. Stir the purees into the soup, in a small bowl, mash the cornstarch into the cream cheese.  Remove 1 cup of the soup and whisk it into the cream cheese mixture until it is smooth and all lumps are gone.  Stir the soup and cream cheese mixture back into the pot and warm through if necessary.  Stir in the lemon juice before serving.

2 comments:

  1. This looks great - thanks for posting! I love using rotisserie chicken in recipes - I always use one for chicken enchiladas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm making this for dinner tonight and it smells incredible!! thanks for sharing. and i love your blog, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete