Thursday, February 24, 2011

Is That Going to Scar?

Last night when I was putting Addie down for bed she was a little fussy so I stood at her crib and patted her back.  While standing in their dark room I closed my eyes and began to daydream.  I started to think of the beach and a vacation that I so want to take and then I felt like I had to pee.  Then all of a sudden it dawned on me, for both of my kids entire life they have been lulled to sleep by sounds of the ocean and running water.  They know no different, for all I know they think that at night time, waves roll through the grass and flocks of sea gulls fly through the night sky like bats.  And then I thought to myself, how much therapy is this going to cost us!! We've kind of blocked out the wave machine at night, but sometimes in the middle of the night I am reminded of the sea gulls flying overhead.  The kids have never been to the beach so they don't even know the sounds that they are listening to.  I know that every decision we make we have a 50/50 chance they will need to go to therapy for so I wonder if the waves will leave a scar, how bad would I feel if one day one of them tells me they had nightmares everynight about sea gulls!!

1 comment:

  1. LOL! It sounds like you have the same (or similar) sound machine that we do! E has always fallen asleep to waves and seagulls (which means we have, too). I've wondered how we're going to wean her from that...but haven't worried about it much more--I'm sure it'll all work out eventually :)

    ReplyDelete