Thursday, February 3, 2011

When I Can Do No Wrong

We've been couped up for the last few weeks.  The babies have both been sick, Addie has RSV with RAD and Augie has been fighting a bronchial infection too.  Pair that with an awesome ice storm and no power and needless to say we were running out of ways to have fun.  Well at least Addie and I were.  It always amazes me how Augie can find new and exciting things in the house.  I guess I should be thankful that he has the ability to do this, because I'm sure before I know it this gift will be gone.  The day before we lost power Augie asked me if we could color on his box, the same box that kept us entertained last week playing oscar the grouch.  So we got out the crayons and then began coloring, well Aug is obsessed with all animals and he decided that he wanted me to draw animals for him.  He didn't ask me to draw a cat, or a pig or a dog, all of which I would do miserably because I CAN'T draw, instead he asked me to first draw a cheetah, then an alligator, a lion and a kangaroo.  So I like a good sport drew him his animals.

As I drew each one, he got more excited and scurried over to his basket of animals to have me draw him a new one.  As I laughed at myself I began to realize that to him they were perfect.  That they looked just like his animal toys and that I could do no wrong.  It is these moments that catch my breath and make me love being a mom even more.  But at the same time it makes me want to stop time and sit in this moment; sick babies, no sleep, crumpled clothes and all, forever.

I think becoming a mom has showed me a whole different side of love that I never really knew, a love for myself.  In the eyes of Augie and Addie I can do no wrong, I am invincible. I can fix anything and I can make anything happen.  I'm a super hero of sorts.  I find this can work against me if Jason and I are arguing because sometimes I think in the back of my mind "who cares what you think, I've got two people that think I'm the best thing since sliced bread!"  I've been trying to work on this...a little.

I know this will all come full circle, there will come a day when they will think the opposite (the dreadful teenage years) and then they will be adults and I will be like my own mom and will do everything in my power to fix everything, make everything happen and still wear my super mom cape.  But for now I will draw animals with my head held high, and be paid back with smiles, because in the end, I still think my mom is one of the best artists ever.

1 comment:

  1. christy i LOVE this! augie sounds like such a fun and creative kid, you've done an amazing job, you're an awesome mom! i wish oliver and i could come hang out with you guys.

    ReplyDelete