Friday, March 11, 2011

Exception to the Rule

On Tuesday the kids and I went to the Zoo.  We spent 5 hours there!!! Augie is obsessed with animals and would live there if we let him.   But while we were at the zoo we went into the indoor food court by Africa.  It's typically the only one open off season and  although I had packed lunch for the kids, I hadn't packed myself any.  Strollers aren't permitted in the food area and I was thinking as we were heading there how I was going to fanagal (sp?) the kids and the tray and all those random things.  The thought went through my head "well no one is here, I'm sure they wouldn't care if I brought the stroller in"  and I even thought about maybe writing the Zoo a letter about during off season allowing strollers in, or putting a sign out when it's ok.  No I "know" I wouldn't have gotten in trouble by breaking this rule, but I'm a rule follower and I parked my stroller outside.  I ordered my food, got the kids situated at the table and then the nice guy just brought me over my food so I didn't have to get up.  As we were eating a few tables over there were 3 moms with their 5 little ones talking about this that and whatever.  We were close enough that I could hear their conversations, the first mom had gotten their first and then her friends showed up.  Someone brought up the no stroller policy and here was her response " Oh, I usually just bring mine in, I mean what are they going to do, tell me a mom of two little ones that I need to leave it outside when I'm by myself, sure, I mean come on."  I kind of thought about her comment the rest of the time at the zoo.  When you are at the zoo for that long with out another adult to talk to you have conversations with yourself about things such as this!

I'm interested to know your all's thoughts.  My take is this, given her reasoning then wouldn't we all be an exception to the rule.  Which would make the rule null and void because it's a no stroller rule, and although I know that kids of all ages ride in strollers at the zoo the median age is probably 3 and under.  And if we all decided that this rule doesn't apply to us, the whole purpose of the rule which I'm assuming is to make the indoor seating more accessible, would be a nightmare because it would be overcrowded by strollers.  I'm always by myself when I'm out and about with the kids and am always having to get creative so when people make comments like this it just rubs me the wrong way.  But I definitely want to hear your thoughts too, even if you are a rule breaker!

3 comments:

  1. You know, I've never seen a 'no stroller' sign, except for a few places where you probably don't want your kids anyway (like a busy consignment sale,etc.) I guess I'd follow the rule, but I don't think it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont understand the rule either. They should change it for off season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Total rule-follower here. I would have been frustrated by the comment *and* the rule itself when the zoo isn't busy. But yeah--I still would've left the stroller outside no matter how much hassle it caused.

    ReplyDelete