Saturday, March 26, 2011

Without a Lense

The other night we were in the midst of a 2 year old meltdown.  Of course it was right before dinner which would make dinner result in a battle of the wills and an un-enjoyable time for all.  As Augie began to yell louder and Jason's tone became sharper and shorter I looked at them both and said "go outside and run...don't worry about a coat just run"  Augie quickly grabbed his hat and gloves as did Jason and they headed to the back yard.  As dinner sat on the table getting cold I saw them playing in the backyard and went for my camera.  I took a shot and then looked at it only to find that through the window the picture was grainy and gloomy and the colors seemed dull.  The picture was not at all a representation of what I was experiencing as I watched.  I put down the camera and picked up Addie instead and just watched.  I got lost in them running and laughing and smiling.  What ever was making Augie so upset jut moments before seemed to have completely disappeared.  All of the anxiety and frustration that was in Jason's voice because of a crappy day at work was gone.  As I stood there watching my boys and holding my girl I thought, this is a moment I want to stay in forever.  I want to always remember what I am feeling right now and wrap myself in it whenever I can.  We stood there for awhile watching and it felt like the most intimate time with my family that can never be taken from us. For those moments I didn't think of anything, no bills, no laundry, no lack of sleep, I just thought that I'm the luckiest person in the whole world and I wouldn't change a thing.

Full Circle
A few days later Addie and I went to a Senior Apartment complex to help out Uncle Scot.  I'm not sure we were that much help but we definitely brightened a few peoples day.  Most of the residents rarely see their grown children and grandchildren let alone a stranger's 9 mos old.  While one of the residents was waiting to be seen Addie and I were talking with her about various things.  She was in her 80's blind in one eye because of a brain tumor that had resulted in them removing a large portion of her brain.  She was as sharp as a whip.  She was telling me about her two children a boy and a girl, she looked at me and said " I remember when they were 6 and 7 and we lived on a farm in Missouri, we raised goats,  I was in the kitchen making dinner and the kids were playing in the yard with their father, and I thought to myself this is the best time of my life."  She proceeded to say " I remember that so vividly and I think of that memory often...these really are the best years of your life."  I wanted to start crying right then and there.  It's times like these that I know God exists, although her age and medical history and everything else should make her forget she is still wrapped in that moment.  A moment so intimate, so personal that only true,selfless, love can create.  She still has it to comfort her and that made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment